Thursday, August 28, 2008

My First Wire Wrapped Pendant

Wire Wrappers Anonymous

“There is no cure here, no twelve step program. Rather, we feed each others sickness and allow our Muses free rein! Wrappers of all levels are welcome. Whether your, a salty dog or a beginner just getting your footing come in and make yourself at home.” Wire Wrappers Anonymous is part of the Metal Chasers Forum, a fun creative group of Artisans.

I recently participated in the first “Wire Wrappers Anonymous” pendant swap. Thirty-one lovely ladies created thirty-one very different wire wrapped pendants, each a beautifully designed.

I created my first wire wrapped pendant with a Blue Quartz focal and Sterling Silver 21 gauge square and half round wire. The design proved to be somewhat if a challenge, not wrapping the cab, but the construction and finishing of the bezel detail. I was quite surprised that the square wire was much harder to work with than the half round sterling silver wire. Not sure why, but the square wire seemed much harder. Both sterling silver wires had been purchased over a year before, but can’t see why the age of the wire would create a harder surface to work.

Each participate was contacted with the swap partners address, not until pendants are received do we know who actually is our swap partner. My swap partner was Gini Briggs of Missouri Ocean Design. I mailed her the pendant yesterday, hopefully she will receive the design before the holiday, and she will know that I am her swap partner. I hope she enjoys my design!


My beautiful pendant that I received was from
Brenda Smith of “The Jewelry Box”.

The pendant is a chunk of genuine Tigereye wrapped with copper wire.


I was just thrilled with Brenda’s pendant, she used my favorites copper and earthtones in create her design. This was also Brenda’s first attempt at wire wrapping a pendant, just like mine. “Who knows…maybe one day, we’ll both become famous wire-wrappers.

If you would like to see the other Wire Wrappers Swap pendants they can be view in the WWA Pendant Swap Gallery.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, that's a beautiful pendant, and I'd never have known it was your first attempt at that technique if you hadn't said so -- very well done! :) ~~T

A Beaded Affair said...

Absolutely beautiful. I can't believe that is your first wrapped pendant. Can't wait to see what you do in the future with such a perfect example for your first.
Lois
http://www.abeadedaffair.com

Barbara Merwin said...

Those are gorgeous! I want to learn the basics of wire wrapping - we have the supplies and pliers and a few books - but the time to do such learning is evasive.

You should be proud of your own work. Best, Ken

Anonymous said...

Jill that is beautiful. something for me to look forward to when I get the nerve to wrap a pendant I made. Enjoyed reading the whole page...great blog

Texas Magpie said...

Wow that is gorgeous! What an amazing creation. I am always in awe of wire wrappers, since it looks so hard. I haven't really tried it yet, but do so appreciate those that work with wire.
Very lovely ^_^

Kateri

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to do! Isn't it fun to get something totally unknown in the mail, as opposed to our usual purchases? How neat to do with internet "buddies."
Teri
http://www.sandtcreations.com/wordpress

ThisThisAndThat said...

Tanya
Thank you...
Hope to have time to do more in the future.

ThisThisAndThat said...

Lois
Looking forward to finding some time to make more

ThisThisAndThat said...

Barbara
Needless to say I used one of my books to learn how to wire wrap my pendant

ThisThisAndThat said...

Wilma
Must admit that I would have been a lot happier making my first wire wrapped pendant out of copper wire. Love the sterling silver wire, but I was really concerned that I would mess it up, and waste my sterling silver wire.

ThisThisAndThat said...

Kateri
Love working with wire, hope to do a lot more in the future

ThisThisAndThat said...

Teri
Can't tell you how much I love getting goodies in the mail. Always a big surprise, and always making new friends.

ChezChani said...

Your work is beautiful and elegant, definitely fits your store name.
I have to see the pendant you received is unlike any I have seen. Very unique and striking. Congrats to both of you.

ChezChani said...

Your work is beautiful and elegant, definitely fits your store name.
I have to see the pendant you received is unlike any I have seen. Very unique and striking. Congrats to both of you.

ThisThisAndThat said...

I love the pendant that Brenda did for me. I would have never thought of wrapping a pendant in the manor. Yes, very striking!

Wezz said...

Jill, I can't believe that is your first try at wire wrapping a cab!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!! When I grow up, I wanna be like you... :-))

Hugs,
Wezz - http://cyberwezz.blogspot.com

ThisThisAndThat said...

Hi Wezz
I have a great book,just followed the step-by-step directions.

Canyon Fire Creations said...

Wow, Jill -great job! Fabulous for a first attempt!

ThisThisAndThat said...

Thank you! Now I need to order more wire so I can try to improve my skills.