Friday, August 1, 2008

Egyptian Flower Princess

Behind the Mask - My Bead Embellishment Challenge

The Beadin' Path in Freeport, Maine issued a challenge to beadwork and fiber artists from all over the world: to accept, be inspired by and submit a mask for a show entitled Behind the Mask. Thirty Seven artists joined this challenge, creating beaded masks using varying techniques; such as bead weaving, stitching and embroidery, sculpture, mixed media, clay and more.

All of the artists started with the same basic white plastered paper mask, producing 37 totally different translations.


I begin my journey

I still have no idea why I decided to participate in the Behind the
Mask Challenge, though I thought this was an interesting concept, and might push my creativity into a new arena. I learned a lot from participating in my new challenge, what worked, what didn’t work, and what I would do differently in the future. The other artisans provided support, knowledge and ideas.


My basic background design is composed of 11/0 champagne seed beads, gluing each bead in place, using larger beads as accents, and design components. I started my mask by attaching the plum delicas on the lips, then encasing the face with the seed beads, using bugle beads as the base of my flower petals, and finishing with the 12 gauge coiled headpiece.

As the mask progressed, the basic original design concept continued as planned, but my design ideas also continued to flow, ideas that I hope to use in a future design concept. If I had the time, I would do things very differently. With many hours already committed to the mask, now was not the time to change my direction. I worked on my mask from October 2007 to April 2008, over 1000 hours spent gluing each and every beautiful bead in place.

An opening reception was held at The Beadin' Path in Freeport, Maine on Friday, June 27th.

It was open to the public and was a great opportunity

for attendees to meet with many of the artists and discuss their process and statement behind their mask. Unfortunately I was unable to attend…

The Beadin’ Path will have another challenge in the fall of this year, will I participate? Looking forward to what the next challenge might bring…

12 comments:

A Beaded Affair said...

Wow, the patience and dedication and talent you show for this project is also reflected in your beautiful jewelry. Wonderful!
Lois
http://www.abeadedaffair.com

ThisThisAndThat said...

Lois
This was my first attempt at mixed media. Really enjoyed masking the mask. Now what to do with it?

Anonymous said...

You should frame it like the work of art that it is! Very nice. I enjoyed seeing the other masks too.

ThisThisAndThat said...

Yes, the other masks are just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What an original idea! Yes, very different from your usual designs, but what a way to push your creativity and bring out new inspiration that you will make later! I love it; I can't imagine the time and detail that went into this. Gorgeous!

Michele Cook said...

OMG! That mask is amazing Jill. For some reason I have never been a big fan of masks, or costumes for that matter. I've always been afraid of Santa Clause..... :) However, I love your mask! Great job. You also did a wonderful job with color selection and arrangement.

ChezChani said...

I'm astounded at the work and creativity in your mask. No way I could do that.

ThisThisAndThat said...

Teri
I found working on the mask very relaxing. And I still did get some wire wrapped coils in the design

ThisThisAndThat said...

Michele
I like my color selection, just not happy with the face color, more pink than I would have liked.

ThisThisAndThat said...

Chezchani

If I could do it, so could you...

Unknown said...

Jill,

Your mask is amazing I love it!!! You are extremly talented.

Tina
http://www.linksandloop.etsy.com

ThisThisAndThat said...

Tina
Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It's always great to hear others opinions. I loved doing the mask, like it, but don't, love it!